Foot care tips to keep you on your Toes
When we consider a full-body beauty regimen, we usually start from top to bottom. But don’t get into the habit of overlooking the feet. Why? Because having a consistent foot care routine will help in our social life and keep us healthy and worry-free.
Some beauty problems that people encounter with their feet include:
- nail ingrown
- yellow nails
- bruised or missing nail
- callus and corns
- hairy toes
To prevent any of these foot problems from happening, here is what should be included in your daily foot care regimen:
1. When bathing, use a foot file or pumice stone to smoothen out calluses on the heels. Soak your feet first in warm water to soften the thickened skin then gently rub using a pumice stone.
To make the foot bath more effective, add tannic acid or black tea which has natural anti- bacterial agent that will reduce chances of getting athlete’s foot.
2. After bathing, completely dry the feet especially the areas around the toes.
3. Moisturise with creams to prevent dryness and flaking. Petrolatum or lactic acid are ingredients to look out for as they help the skin retain more moisture. Moisturise the toenails too with cuticle cream, petroleum jelly or vitamin E oil.
4. Apply anti-fungal treatments to prevent fungal infection. These may come in powder or liquid spray form for sweaty feet or lotion for dry feet.
Some ingredients to look out for are terbinafine, tolnaftate, miconazole, ciclopirox or clotrimazole. Tea tree oil is also effective for mild athlete’s foot.
1. Trim your nails properly to prevent hangnails and ingrown.
2. When using nail polish, don’t get products with formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate as these can make the toes more brittle.
3. Always remember to use nail coats before applying any nail colour.
4. Make sure you only wear clean socks or hosiery.
5. Wear medicated heel pads with your shoes if you are experiencing painful cracks on your feet.
Beauty is not only a matter of applying the right products or correct techniques to keep the feet looking sexy and clean. It is also a matter of protecting the feet from possible health issues. Here are some additional things to remember to keep the feet protected from the elements:
1. Socks and shoes are the best protection against the elements. But when getting open footwear, make sure the sole is thick and comfortable to prevent soreness or blistering.
2. Don’t walk barefoot outdoors, even on the beach, to prevent burning. Wear socks at night to prevent getting the feet cold. Keep your feet warm during winter.
3. Keep blood flowing to your feet by not crossing your legs too long. Do small exercises like wiggling the toes and moving the ankles up and down.
4. Wear the appropriate shoes when doing strenuous activities.
5. Keep your heels low to prevent soreness, stumbling and sprains.
A good foot care regime is not complete without knowing what products can give us the best results. Here are some of the latest crèmes, moisturisers and anti-fungal treatments that are available in the market today:
Foot Works Beautiful Heel Softening Cream provides rich, 24-hour moisturisation to help relieve overly dry heels.
This foot cream comes with vitamin E and 10% urea that is suitable for dry skin, eczema and psoriasis.
Pedi Foot Lotion comes with aloe vera and other natural extracts and oils that brightens skin and leaves it soft. This product is suitable for those with sensitive skin.
This foot spray deodorizes and cools tired feet, making them feel fresh after a long day.
This product comes with Epsom salts mixed with natural extracts that help stressed feet relax after an exhaustive day. The foot soak also creates a great scent that leaves the feet smelling good.
What foot care products do you use in your foot care regimen? What other tips can you share to keep the feet looking healthy, sexy and clean? Share your suggestions and comments below!